Legendary singer Prince, was found dead at his estate in Minneapolis on April 21st and the autopsy results have just been released.
They show that Prince, 57 died of an overdose of Fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller that is 50 times more potent than heroin.
Although it’s not clear whether Prince had a prescription for Fentanyl, we do know he had been suffering from intense knee and hip pain for years. A problem which arose from all his years of wearing high heeled boots on stage while performing.
What is Fentanyl?
Fentanyl is a synthetic drug that has legitimate medical uses. It is also partly responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths in some parts of the country. Because of its risks, it is tightly controlled by the Food and Drug Administration, but much of it is manufactured illegally.
Pain patients who have built up a tolerance to other prescription painkillers, or who have become addicted, sometimes seek out stronger drugs such as heroin or fentanyl.
A week before Prince died, his plane made an emergency landing on it’s way to Minneapolis so the singer could be treated for a medical emergency. It’s now known that he was found unconscious on the plane and he had to be administered a shot of Narcan which is an antidote used in suspected opioid overdoses.
Investigations will now turn to determining who supplied the drug to Prince. Illegally distributing fentanyl to someone who then dies from it is punishable by a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years under federal law. However under Minnesota law, the same actions can result in third-degree murder charges and up to 25 years in prison.
Prince was always known for his clean living so news of his overdose came as a huge shock to his fans. Longtime friend and collaborator Sheila E. however says she knew Prince had physical issues from performing and was aware he was taking painkillers daily to deal with the excruciating pain.
Photos courtesy of Google Images.