As predicted, off the shoulder (OTS) is a big trend this summer and if you’re apprehensive about wearing this style of dress, don’t be. Here are some tips on how to look comfortable in your OTS dress.
1. Do get fitted for a strapless bra. Depending on the size of your breasts, will depend on what style strapless bra you can wear. Some women can get away with the bandage style, while others of us need a little more support. Once you find your strapless bra of choice, buy two so you always have them on hand.
2. The biggest deal breaker for some women with wearing the OTS style is how the top pops over the shoulders. Some tips to avoid this is to purchase a looser fit around the shoulders as a tight fit will creep up over the shoulders. You can also use this rubber band trick as recommended by Mummy and the Minx and Styling Curvy. Kirsten and Co also recommends pinching the back of the elastacised OTS dresses as that keeps the shoulders on show. A thicker elastic as opposed to a thin elastic can also pop over less.
3. Keep those shoulders exposed but covered in SPF 50 + sunscreen. Exfoliate and moisturize so your shoulders are in tip top condition, and immediately cover them in sunscreen to avoid getting burnt.
4. Wear your OTS dress with sandals, wedges, heels, canvas sneakers, open toe booties… the style is endless in in versatility.
5. Don’t go overboard with accessories. Stick to a dangly pair of earrings and a statement ring OR stud earrings and a long necklace.
6. Do shop around for a style that looks right on you. Some OTS style dresses have and extra frill of fabric and for bigger busted women or those with round shoulders like myself, need to be careful about adding extra layers to the top half of our bodies. Opt for the straight lines or a smaller frill if you are quite busty.
We’ve found some fabulous styles online. Some of these dresses are on sale today only as part of the ClickFrenzy promotion. The discount code is put next to each link for your convenience.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links on this post. Should you choose to purchase an item, we will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.