Choice have put together a Mass Incident Report around the popular kitchen appliance that has taken cooking by storm, the Thermomix.
The TM31 is the model that has had the most incidents, but Choice found both Thermomix Models TM31 and TM5 lack a safety feature that is built in with many of it’s competitors, which prevents users blending hot liquids at high speeds.
In 2014 there was a voluntary recall on the TM31 model, despite Thermomix refusing the dangerous incidents as a need for a recall.
The dangerous incidents have been attributed to the failure of a faulty part which is meant to be replaced every 2 years, although many purchasers are not aware of this maintenance requirement. The $15 sealing ring for the mixing bowl must be replaced every 2 years to prevent the user getting scalded by the hot contents in the Thermomix bowl.
Thermomix Australia has assured Choice that they have sent replacement sealing rings to all TM31 Thermomix owners that have been affected. Although some Thermomix owners have said the new sealing ring doesn’t fix the problem.
Meanwhile the report Choice has made on the Thermomix can be found here. There have been reports that Thermomix refused to give burnt victims a refund. They have also asked affected users to sign non-disclosure statements.
Between 29 March and 9 May 2016, 87 Thermomix owners filled Choice’s mass incident form and reported a problem with their machine. The were 83 reports for the TM31 model and four for the TM5. 18 of these reports said they had received injuries that required medical treatment after using their Thermomix.
In the meantime, if you are scalded by your Thermomix, Choice lists steps on what to do.
Do you own a Thermomix? Know of someone who has been injured by their Thermomix?