Despite my eldest son being in his teens now, I can still vividly remember my friend Marta coming to meet our new baby. My days (and nights) had suddenly been completely overtaken by the needs of this tiny little human who was wholly dependent on me, and I was sore and exhausted from what felt like endless feeding. Handing over a gift she told me, “Everyone forgets about the mum after the baby is born. He’ll have lots of lovely gifts from everybody else, but I wanted to get something that’s just for you.” I still remember the impact that kind and thoughtful gesture had on me, and every time I sprayed on the perfume that she had wrapped so beautifully, it was a reminder to me that my rest and recovery during that whirlwind postpartum period was equally as important. Ever since then, I’ve always paid that important lesson forward and gifted new mums with something just for them, and if they live close by, a meal that they can heat up at the end of a long day. These really are the things that meant so much to me when I first found myself in the trenches of new parenthood.
Another mother who recognises the importance of focusing on new mums just as much as her baby, is Rachel, the owner and founder of Baby and Mumma Gifts. “As well as gifting something for a baby, I have always thought it is just as important to give something just for mum,” explains Rachel. “I create gift hampers with gifts just for the baby, as well as many gifts just for mum, to make her feel special and loved.”
All of Baby and Mumma gift hampers are designed to showcase Australian brands, and keep the wellbeing of new mother’s at the forefront because postpartum recovery is vital. The hampers can include both cute gifts for the new baby, and practical, postpartum self-care essentials. I’ve picked out a few to give you an idea of how gorgeous they are, but there is also a build your own hamper option, so that you can tailor your gift to suit the recipient and your budget.
New Mum Gift Hamper
This New Mum Hamper includes:
- 25g pack of Belly Balm by the Physic Garden. Belly Balm Naturally Promotes Skin Elasticity During Pregnancy. This Belly Balm contains Gotu kola, Shea Butter, Rosehip and Kakadu Plum. This product is handmade in Melbourne and contains natural, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients.
- 25g pack of Nursing Balm by the Physic Garden. This Nursing Balm is a must-have for all breastfeeding mothers. Nursing Balm combines natural oils and herbs including Calendula, Lavender & Blessed Thistle, traditionally used by breastfeeding mums to moisturise dry, cracked nipples. This product is handmade in Melbourne and contains natural, vegan and cruelty-free ingredients.
- Relaxation Soy Candle (various fragrances) from At Our House. Candles contain beautiful fragrances that will help every new mother relax. These candles are hand-poured in Canberra. Approximately 33 – 35 hours burn time.
- Star + Rose Tourmaline Bead Heat Pack. This heat pack contains safe and natural tourmaline beads. Perfect to warm you up on a chilly night or soothe an ache without a fuss if used as a cool pack. Tourmaline is the odour free, safe alternative to wheat fill and can be heated or placed in the refrigerator to cool. We also only use super soft fabrics for the most huggable heat packs in town.
- Little Innoscents Pawpaw Ointment. 30m This Australian made, certified organic and cruelty free pawpaw ointment is made from beeswax, shea butter and jojoba oil infused with Calendula, Vitamin E and Australian pawpaw. It soothes, nourishes, and replenishes skin cells.
- Little Innoscents Moisture Rich Body Lotion. 100ml. This Australian made, certified organic and cruelty free Moisture Rich Body Lotion has a delicate floral Ylang Ylang scent. Formulated from aloe vera, shea butter, sunflower and avocado oil, it is ideal for dry or sensitive skin. Silky smooth and rich in texture, it will leave your whole body feeling nourished and hydrated. Safe to use while pregnant, it can also help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Franjos Kitchen Tanker Topper Biscuits. These biscuits are a must have for breastfeeding mothers. Made by an Australian small business, these biscuits are specifically formulated to support a healthy milk supply so both mum and baby can thrive. Your choice of flavours; Choc Chip, Fig and Almond, or Gluten Free Choc Chip.
Mum to Be/Pregnancy Hamper
The Mum to be Hamper includes:
- 25g pack of Belly Balm by the Physic Garden. Belly Balm Naturally Promotes Skin Elasticity During Pregnancy. This beautiful Melbourne-made balm is wonderful at caring for your pregnant friend’s beautiful, growing baby bump
- 220g Glow Bath Soak by the Physic Garden. What better way to celebrate your pregnant loved one’s glow than a gorgeous bath soak?
- Bump: A Pregnancy Story. A beautiful keepsake journal to keep record of Mumma’s pregnancy journey week by week. Designed in Melbourne.
- Star + Rose Tourmaline Bead Heat Pack. This heat pack contains safe and natural tourmaline beads. Perfect for all the aches and pains of pregnancy, and to help mum to be relax.
The New Mum Pamper Hamper contains:
- 220g Dream Bath Soak by the Physic Garden. This blend combines the relaxing quality of Epsom salts with soothing scents of Chamomile, Lavender & Lemon Balm. This product is handmade in Melbourne and contains natural, vegan and cruelty free ingredients.
- Relaxation Soy Candle (various fragrances) from At Our House. Candles contain beautiful fragrances that will help every new mother relax. These candles are hand poured in Canberra. Approximately 33 – 35 hours burn time.
- 10ml Little Innoscents Calming essential oil blend. These wonderful aromas combined create a calming blend that helps ease tension and anxiety promoting relaxation and calmness. Australian made, certified organic and cruelty free.
- 25g Calm Balm by the Physic Garden. Australian made organic balm with the gentle & uplifting scents of Bergamot, Mandarin & Cedarwood in a moisturising base of Shea Butter with Passionflower & Lemon Balm.
Mum and Bub Hamper
This gorgeous mum and baby girl hamper includes the following:
- Nursing balm from the Physic Garden – this soothing balm for breastfeeding mothers is organic and cruelty-free and handmade in Melbourne.
- Belly balm from the Physic Garden – this balm is designed for promoting skin elasticity and for soothing stretching skin. Organic, cruelty-free, and handmade in Melbourne.
- Baby girl Romper – from My Sweet Little Trio.o Baby girl Rattle from ES kids – in the shape of adorable animals.
For more beautiful baby hampers, mum to be and new mum hampers and postpartum essentials gifts head to Baby and Mumma Gifts website here. Free shipping Australia wide for orders over