A three-year-old boy from Horsham, Victoria, was killed on Monday after a bookcase collapsed on him in the family home.
The community of Clear Lake are grieving the loss of Blake Shaw who was struck by the free-standing bookcase that collapsed with no warning.
Emergency services were called to the scene, but they were unable to revive the toddler.
Dianne Shaw, the little boy’s grandma told News Corp, she and her grandson had a beautiful day at the beach prior to the accident.
“He called me ‘grandma’ for the first time,” she said.
“We are devastated, just devastated. He was our baby.”
Investigations are being made into why the bookcase collapsed as there is no evidence Blake climbed or touched the bookcase.
General Manager of Kidsafe Victoria, Jason Chambers, said some accidents can’t be prevented but parents do need to be vigilant with furniture around the home to minimize the risk of them falling on children.
“With furniture with shelves, place heavier items on the lower shelves,” he said.
“That sometimes helps make the furniture more stable. The biggest thing parents and carers can do is secure furniture to the wall with brackets or anchors.”
It’s important for parents to check all furniture in the house to ensure they are stable and fixed to the wall for extra precaution if necessary.
The toddler’s death has come as a reminder to all parents about the need to secure furniture safely.
Our condolences go to Blake’s family as they grieve his loss.