Creamy Chicken and Bacon Pasta
Creamy chicken and bacon pasta is one of those meals that seem to use up all those little bits and pieces in your fridge. You know the ones – half a packet of bacon, an opened bag of baby spinach that might not make it until the salad you’d planned to have in a couple of days. Half a container of cream. Leftover wine. Wait… what? Is that even a thing? Certainly not in my house!
You can use whatever you have in this easy meal, and bulk it up with more vegies if you wish. Switch out the bacon for shaved ham. Add zucchini or a cup of peas. Anything goes, and that’s the beauty of cooking sometimes. It’s not about being a gourmet chef or using the most expensive ingredients, it’s about feeding your family wholesome, nutritious food. And if that happens to be perfectly good bits and bobs you have lying about leftover from preparing another meal then all the better. Consider this meal a freebie. And a delicious one at that!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 large chicken breast fillet, chopped
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 green onion
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 cup of cream
- 400g dried pasta – whichever shape you like
- 250g baby spinach
- 125g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a big pot of salted water on high heat and bring to the boil, Cook pasta as per directions.
- Meanwhile, sauté chicken and bacon until cooked through, then add wine and green onion and simmer until reduced slightly.
- Add cream and stir to combine.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce with baby spinach and halved cherry tomatoes. Season as desired.
- Serve with shaved parmesan cheese and crusty bread
Use whatever leftover ingredients you have on hand – salami, shaved ham, zucchini etc