Slow Cooker Savoury Mince Recipe
Using your slow cooker to make savoury mince saves you a lot of time and effort at the end of the day. Serve over creamy mashed potato and you have the ultimate comfort food for a cold, dark winter’s evening.
- 1kg beef mince
- 2-4 brown onions (depending on size) diced
- 3 cups frozen peas, carrots, corn mix (or the equivalent in fresh vegetables, whatever you have on hand is fine, chop them up and bung them in)
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 4 cups of water
- 6 beef Oxos
- 4 tablespoons of corn flour
- 3 tablespoons of dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mashed potato or rice to serve.
- Brown the mince in a frying pan, breaking up with a spoon until cooked, Drain in a wire colander to remove excess fat.
- Transfer mince to slow cooker pot and turn on High. Add all of the vegetables, tomato paste and soy sauce.
- Dissolve the oxos into the water in a large jug. Add to the slow cooker. Then pour another half a cup of water into the jug and add the cornflour, mixing to make a paste. Add that to the slow cooker too, with the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 8 hours. Thicken with more cornflour paste if necessary
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes or rice
This recipe makes a LOT of savoury mince which is excellent because it is cheap, tasty, versatile, and freezes exceptionally well. Use your leftovers on top of baked potatoes, on toast or as a pie filling, or mix through hot pasta.
If you’d prefer not to use a slow cooker, you can follow the same instructions and cook, covered, on a stove top for 45 minutes.