Spurred on by my recent baking effort (in which The Woo, Foghorn and I knocked up a sensational looking cricket cake from a Cake 2 the Rescue Kit) I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen again.
My children, as a treat, love a Neenish tart. So I decided to try my hand at making some disguised as reindeers!
I’m sure that I don’t need to tell you that, much like, Santa’s reindeers on Christmas eve, these flew off the plate!
And rest assured, (by the fact that I managed to make them without stuffing it up) that they are easy peasy…and look gorgeous!
1 packet frozen sweet tart cases
¼ cup raspberry jam
¼ cup icing sugar
¼ cup condensed milk
50g butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
4 teaspoons cocoa, sifted
4 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup thickened cream
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Star Shaped Pretzels
Blue Icing Pen
• Preheat oven to 200°C. Arrange cases on a baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
• FILLING. Spoon a teaspoon of jam into the bottom of each pastry shell.
• In a small bowl, combine icing sugar, condensed milk, butter and lemon juice. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
• Divide filling evenly between the pastry cases. Chill in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes until firm.
• ICING. Place icing sugar and sifted cocoa powder into a bowl and gradually add the water until the mixture is smooth and spreadable.
• Spread chocolate icing over the tarts.
• Put back into the refrigerator to chill until set.
• WHIPPED CREAM. Whip the cream until almost stiff. Add the sugar and vanilla essence and then beat until cream holds its peaks.
• Place a large dollop of whipped cream on the tart to make the snout, and two smaller ones for the eyes.
• TO DECORATE: Place a red smartie into the centre of the large dollop for the nose.
• Carefully draw two blue eyes onto the smaller dollops of whipped cream.
• Finish off by breaking the star-shaped pretzels in half and placing above the eyes to make antlers.
You have some very tasty, very festive, reindeer Neenish tarts that the kids (and the adults) will love!