So now that the weather is cooler has your life moved inside under the doona and onto the couch? Be a step ahead of everyone and keep moving.
Don’t use the weather as an excuse to give up and do nothing or slow down your already active lifestyle. Here are some tips:
- Use your head – Think of exercise as an opportunity, not an inconvenience and be active in as many ways as you can. Do something that you enjoy!
- Don’t get left in the dark – Make the most of the daylight hours and stretch your legs during lunchtime. Go for a walk, run or organise a lunchtime team sport.
- Don’t Do it Alone – Find an exercise partner who will help you to stay motivated when it is cold outside – phone a friend and get active together.
- Try Something New – Find a nearby indoor exercise class or indoor heated pool – have you tried Zumba or water aerobics yet? Roller skating, ice skating or rug up and head for the hills on an exhilarating bush walk.
- Set goals – set some realistic winter goals and reward yourself as you achieve them.
- Walk your best friend – Someone who never says no, no matter what the weather is your dog – get out and go!
- Don’t Forget to Warm up – Cold temperatures can make your muscles tight and prone to injury. Make sure you do a thorough warm up prior to your exercise.
- Insulate your Body – If exercising outdoors, wear layers of clothing. Layering provides the most effective heating method and allows you to remove the top layer if you get too hot.
- Drink Up – It’s just as important to stay hydrated when exercising in winter as it is in summer, even though you may not feel as thirsty.
Leanne Sklavenitis has been extensively involved in the Fitness industry in not only Australia but also the USA for over 20 years as an Online Fitness Expert, Group Fitness instructor / Personal Trainer and Speaker running a successful online home based fitness business.
She has won the Aquatic and Recreation Victoria Group Exercise Instructor of the Year Award, the YMCA Group Fitness Instructor of the Year Award, has presented to 5000 delegates in Singapore, spoken to numerous corporate organisations and presented at conferences. She has also been interviewed in Fitness Instructor editorials and written fitness articles for magazines.
Leanne currently runs her own Online Health & Fitness Motivation Business where she provides the latest health and fitness motivation and helps to motivate fitness clients “online” no matter where they live. She has recently launched a new health and fitness membership site which contains all the information you need to know about creating the healthy lifestyle you deserve.