Beef & Noodle Curry Recipe
We all need a few mince recipes in our stash that aren’t spaghetti bolognaise. And it’s all well and good that there are so many san choy bau and other fancy pants mince recipes out there, but are they really that family friendly? I’m not so sure. But this one, this beef and noodle curry recipe, this one is definitely a go-er for families!
Now, my husband refuses to eat any Asian food on account of a bad experience one time in his youth. I’ve been trying to get him to eat even the most basic flavoured stir fry or fried rice for nearly fifteen years with no luck whatsoever.
Until now. He eats this curried noodle dish! And enjoys it!
Who says kids are the pickiest eaters?
Here’s what you’ll need to have beef and noodle curry on the table at your place tonight.
A packet of beef mince, some carrots, celery, shallots and broccoli, a packet of hokkien noodles, some corn kernels, garlic, and an onion, plus brown sugar, peanut oil, curry powder, a chicken stock cube, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.
It’s super simple to throw this meal together.
Prepare the noodles by pouring boiling water over them to refresh, then drain and gently separate with two forks as though you are pulling pork. (mmmmm, pulled pork…)
Then heat the oil in your wok (or large frying pan) and cook the mince. Add the curry powder and cook for a bit longer, then remove to a bowl and drain any fat.
Now stir fry (or “cook” as I said to my husband, as this is “not” Asian food and I didn’t say “wok” or “stir fry” in his presence, just in case he opted out at the last minute) the veggies and prepare the sauces in a jug.
Then return the mince to the “big frying pan” and add everything together and heat it all through. Serve with sliced shallots on top and enjoy!
- 440g packet shelf-fresh thin hokkien noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 500g beef mince
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 carrots, sliced diagonally
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g can corn kernels, drained
- Sliced green onions, to serve (optional)
- Place noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and drain immediately. Separate noodles with a fork.
- Heat a wok over high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Swirl to coat. Add mince. Stir-fry, breaking up mince, for 8 minutes or until browned. Add curry powder. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, draining any excess fat.
- Meanwhile, combine stock, soy, vinegar and sugar in a small jug.
- Add remaining oil to wok. Swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add broccoli. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Return mince to wok with corn and stock mixture. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until combined. Add noodles. Toss until heated through. Top with green onion and serve.