Curried Sausage Pilaf Recipe
According to Wikipedia, a pilaf is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. So basically another one pot wonder to add to our collection of quick and easy meals!
This meal definitely ranks as one of the quickest, easiest and tastiest that I have ever made, not to mention one of the most economical. Curried sausages and rice with veggies stirred through, what’s not to love?
Here are all the ingredients to get this tasty meal on the table in less than thirty minutes.
The usual suspects – olive oil and an onion, two beef stock cubes, some curry powder, sausages, white long grain rice, mixed frozen veggies and a green onion/shallot.
Add some oil to a frying pan (one that has a lid) and brown the sausages. Then remove them from the pan and slice them into bite sized pieces. Next, saute the onion until tender, add the curry powder, then the rice and stir to combine. Add the stock cubes, boiling water and sausages, cover with the lid and let cook for ten minutes.
Then add the frozen veggies, pop the lid back on and cook for another five minutes. Nearly finished!
Take it off the heat and let it sit for five minutes while you chop up that shallot/green onion/whatever you call it. Sprinkle it over the top and serve!
Done! Dinner on the table in under 30 minutes and with only one dirty pan. Genius!
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 beef sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 250gms mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Heat half the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Cook and turn the sausages for 4 minutes or until cooked. Transfer to a chopping board and allow to cool slightly, then slice into bite sized pieces.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and saute the onion until softened. Add curry powder and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in rice. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until well coated in the curry mixture.
- Add the crumbled stock cubes, boiling water and sausages to the pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetables, cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and craters appear on the surface of the rice.
- Remove from heat and stand, covered for 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sliced green onions.