Sausages with Onion Gravy, Mashed Potatoes and Veggies
Sausages with onion gravy, mashed potatoes and veggies is a classic family favourite will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters with it’s simplicity and hearty goodness. And you’ll never need a packet mix gravy again once you’ve mastered this deliciously easy gravy. Serve with whatever vegetables you have in your fridge crisper or freezer and you can’t go wrong.
- 560g packet of sausages
- 1kg potatoes
- milk & butter to mash
- your favourite vegies – carrots, peas, zucchini, corn, beans, broccoli etc. Frozen or fresh is fine.
- For the gravy:
- 40g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 2 beef Oxos
- 2 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and chop into large chunks. Place in a pot of salted cold water and bring to the boil with the lid on. Cook until tender, then mash with milk and butter.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausages in a frying pan, turning until browned and cooked through
- Prepare your vegetables and steam or boil until just tender.
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan and add the onions, stirring until softened. Dissolve the Oxos in 500mls of hot water in a jug. When the onions have softened, add 1 heaped tablespoon of plain flour to the saucepan and stir for a few minutes to combine and to cook the flour. Add the warm beef stock to the saucepan a little at a time while stirring constantly. It will be thick and gluggy at first but once all the stock has been added it will have a glossy smooth consistency. Add a little soy sauce for extra flavour and some salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a jug to serve.
- 5. Combine all elements on each plate and pour gravy over the top.