Vietnamese Chicken Rolls Recipe
These chicken rolls are on my “must-make-again-soon” list. The problem is, we hardly ever have the same thing twice because I am on this demented, continuous hunt for new recipes to conquer. Most people have a repertoire of their faves; lasagna, spag bol, chicken parma, schnitzel, steak, roasts and they are on constant rotation. Because they’re busy and you can keep the same, stock standard ingredients on hand at all times. Plus kids are fussy and if you find something they (and the other half) loves to eat, it’s just easier to keep churning out the same stuff.
I think I’m nearly at the point now where I can spot a great recipe from 50 feet away. I glance at the picture, skim through the ingredient list and just know if it will be a hit or not. I’m a bit like that with novels too. I have to like the cover, the title of the book and I need to skim through a few pages to see if I like the writer’s style. Every now and again I pick a lemon on both counts, but not too often. Cooking for me, is fun and I am easily distracted so that is the ONLY reason I haven’t made these again. Yet. But I really have to because they were so, damn, delicious. And easy. Did I mention you buy a store-bought roast chook? And store-bought crusty rolls? A quick pickle of the vegetables to give them zing and crunch, a spike of flavour to a store-bought mayo and surprisingly the addition of Maggi Original Seasoning (which I did not KNOW about prior to this) and OMG, so good. Perfect for a fast, weeknight meal, or for the lunchboxes. There is sweet, sour, salty and savoury in every bite and this will be on the table getting devoured in minutes.
- 1/2 roast BBQ chicken, skin discarded, shredded
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp parsley or coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 4 crusty rolls, halved lengthways
- Maggi Original Seasoning sauce, to drizzle
- 1 tbsp finely chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the white vinegar, salt and sugar together until dissolved. Add the carrot, onion, garlic and chilli and stir to combine. Set aside. (You can do this ahead and pop into the fridge until you need it).
- In a small bowl whisk the mayonnaise, Chinese five spice and lime juice together. Season to taste.
- Spread each of the rolls with a layer of mayonnaise, then top with a mixture of chicken, chopped parsley or coriander, and pickled veggies. Sprinkle with the peanuts and drizzle a little Maggi seasoning on top to serve.