Search

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Mum Shares Cot Warning After Her Toddler Suffocates Under A Teddybear

Mum Shares Cot Warning After Her Toddler Suffocates Under A Teddybear

The most devastating thing for a parent is without a doubt having to bury their child. Even more devastating is when you lose that child in a tragic accident.

For a mother in Scotland, losing her young child has prompted her to speak out and warn other parents of the dangers a toddler may face in their cot.

Dexy Leigh Walsh woke up on the morning of March 6th to find her baby girl lying unresponsive in bed. Turns out the 18 moth old child was smothered to death by a teddy bear that must have fallen on her while she slept.

“I got up to get my oldest ready for school, and I went over to get Connie and she was under a big teddy bear,” the Scottish mum told the BBC.

When she couldn’t get a response from Connie she turned to her partner, Murray, in a panic. “I put Connie on the floor and started CPR. Murray took over and he tried. My sister was on the phone to the ambulance people, explaining what to do.”

It only took the emergency responders a few minutes to realise that little Connie Rose was gone. “I just ran back into the bedroom and grabbed her and cuddled her. They let me cosy her for a good half an hour and I kept hugging her, still hoping she would open her eyes, or grab me or something,” Walsh said.

The devastated mum took to Facebook to thank everyone for their well wishes and to give an explanation for young Connie’s untimely and tragic death.

“I have been blaming myself as she passed away due to suffocation,” she wore. Walsh said Connie’s bed had a gap between it and the wall. So to stop her little one from falling between it and bumping her head the mum decided to put a bunch of stuffed teddies there to fill the gap.

“All I think about now is what if I just left it empty, she would still be here maybe with just a small bump on her head,” the mum said, calling the incident the “biggest regret in life.”

“I want every parent to see and be aware of this,” she wrote on Facebook. “Let them fall, don’t try to stuff small places up with soft things, just leave it empty.”

“Please move everything off your kids’ bed and away from the sides,” the devastated mum wrote, saying that kids shouldn’t have anything on their beds at night not even a pillow.

“I really hope my little princess’s tragic story can save someone else’s baby’s life,” Walsh wrote.

Walsh spoke to the BBC saying her one-woman campaign to raise awareness of this issue has been going really well. “When I see all these messages that people are moving things from kids’ beds, it really means something to me and I am so thankful for them reading my messages,” she said.

Images: Facebook

 

Chrystal Lovevintage

Chrystal Lovevintage

Chrystal is a writer and blogger who loves nothing more than watching back to back episodes of crime shows. Should she ever find herself needing to cover up a crime, she'll know exactly what to do! Her dream is to one day live in Palm Springs where she can do her writing poolside while drinking endless gin and tonics. Mum to the cutest twin boys in the world, she loves nothing more than the sound of their laughter (usually heard when they're conspiring against her). Entertainment writer and pop culture junkie, she will be bringing you all the celebrity gossip and news that your brain can handle. You can follow her blog at https://lovechrystal.com.au and on Instagram at Chrystalovevintage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This