Search

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Mum Shares Important Warning After She Found Her Toddler Locked in Her Washing Machine

Mum Shares Important Warning After She Found Her Toddler Locked in Her Washing Machine

A mum has shown considerable courage in coming forward to warn other parents about the dangers of washing machines after an incident in her home that saw her toddler lock herself inside her front loader.

Mum of three, Lindsey McIver publicly shared details of the traumatising event on Facebook despite knowing that she will inevitably be mum-shamed for what happened to her young daughter, opening her up to harsh criticism from other parents. But the thought of another child going through what her daughter did was more terrifying than being trolled by ‘sanctimummies’.

Lindsey’s old washing machine had broken so she and her husband replaced it with a new model. The very next day, before the machine was ever used, Lindsey’s 3-year-old got trapped inside the airtight machine — while it was running.

She explains in her heart-wrenching message to other parents and grandparents:

I’ve been hesitant to write this post. First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and second, because it’s just really hard to re-live. 

On Sunday our washing machine broke down. On Monday my husband went to Lowe’s and purchased this new front load washing machine. We thought it was the “new and cool” type of washing machine and didn’t think anything of it. We spent that evening installing it with the kids underfoot. We told them several times that they were not to touch it. They all replied “OK.”

Early Tuesday morning we were woken up by our four-year-old son who was crying so hard he could barely talk. As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs. It was then that the realization hit. He had said: Kloe. Inside. Washer. 

By the time we reached the laundry room in the basement, my three-year-old daughter Kloe was LOCKED inside the airtight washing machine. It was tumbling and filling with water. She was screaming but you couldn’t hear her.

We were able to quickly stop it and unlock the door and get her out. Aside from a couple of small bumps on her head and wet clothes, she was fine. 

After going through all the “what if‘s” and “could have’s” we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter.

Lindsey with her husband and family

I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine. We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one. 

I took this picture after we secured the door shut with a child safety lock. We also found a child lock feature on the settings that, as long as it is engaged, will not allow the washing machine to start. But it does not lock the door. We hadn’t even used the machine yet so we hadn’t looked at any of the settings. Also, it obviously took two curious kids to pull this off. I want to encourage anybody who has this type of front-loading washing machine and small children, or even grandkids who visit, to lock the door with a child safety lock and always keep the child lock setting on! 

I realize that there are ways we could’ve prevented this from happening. This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good. We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough.

Lindsey’s post has been shared more than three hundred thousand times, and while there will always be mum shamers, a lot of comments thanked her for coming forward and sharing her horrific experience so others can learn from it.

“Thanks for sharing, you may have saved a life. So glad your daughter is okay,” wrote one commenter.

“Kids are curious and will get into everything. Thankfully her brother was there to quickly tell you,” wrote another. “Accidents happen but sharing stories like this can help prevent another one.”

We can all benefit from a quick heads up sometimes. I’m going to go and check the settings on my front loader right now. If you have young children in your home, you should too.

Source: Facebook/Lindsey McIver

Jill Slater

Jill Slater

Jill is a busy wife and mother of four young children. She loves nothing more than making people giggle, and loves to settle in with a glass of wine (or four) and wander about the internet. Feel free to follow her to see all the cool stuff she finds!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This