Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Woman Nearly Dies After Mixing Store Bought Cleaners Together

woman nearly dies from mixing store bough cleaners

Woman Nearly Dies After Mixing Store Bought Cleaners Together

Mixing store bought cleaners is dangerous. And a mother-of-three wants the world to know how she narrowly escaped death after mixing her store bought cleaners together.

Charley Howson is grateful to be still alive after she unintentionally created a poisonous gas as she cleaned her house.

The UK resident mixed bleach with two “concentrated disinfectant products” and hot water to give her floors a thorough clean.

But as she started mopping her floor, she started to experience chest pains.

The mother-of- three explained, “The pain got worse and worse, I thought I was having a heart attack.

“I’ve had a collapsed lung before, and it felt a bit like that.”

The chest pains caused the mum to call out, and Charley’s 15-year-old son called for an ambulance.

The paramedics found Charley had dangerously low levels of oxygen. They transported her to hospital to get further testing. One of the paramedics noticed a strong smell of bleach and mentioned this to the doctor on arrival at the hospital.

The doctor asked Charley if she had been cleaning when she experienced her chest pains.

Charley explained, “The doctor asked if I had been cleaning, because the paramedics mentioned a strong smell of bleach.

“He said mixing those chemicals with the hot water had given me chlorine gas poisoning.

“I was stunned, I couldn’t believe it. He said that it happens far more than you’d think.

“He said if my son hadn’t phoned for the ambulance when he did that it could have been a lot worse.

“It could have been so much worse. I could not be here. It could have killed me.”

At this stage, Charley is not sure if she has permanent damage after breathing in the gas. She’s had tests and is now waiting for the results.

But her near-death experience has prompted her to warn others about the dangers of mixing standard, store bought cleaners.

“Everything I used were just normal cleaning products,” she points out. “I didn’t read the small print on the bottles, but no-one does really, and I just want everyone to make sure they do when they’re cleaning.”

It’s important to always read the label on the cleaner and follow the instructions for the correct application.

Better yet, use natural cleaners where the possibility of being poisoned can be avoided.

Rebecca Senyard

Rebecca Senyard

Rebecca Senyard is a plumber by day and stylist by night but these days she changes more nappies than washers. She is a happily married mum to three young daughters who she styles on a regular basis. Rebecca is not only an award winning plumber, she also writes an award winning blog called The Plumbette where she shares her life experiences as a plumber and mother. Rebecca also blogs at Styled by Bec believing a girl can be both practical and stylish. Links to the blogs are and

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.