22 Genius Ways to Protect Your Christmas Tree From Pets and Toddlers
It’s nearly that time of year again! That time where we nervously put up our Christmas trees and decorate only the top half because we know from experience that the toddler will destroy anything within arm’s reach.
When my children were small, I cleverly shelled out the best $40 I’ve ever spent on a cheap puppy playpen to put around the tree and cable-tied it together to keep those little hands away from it. Because after all, it wasn’t just the tree I was trying to protect, it was all those carefully-wrapped Christmas presents too!
These people have come up with their own solutions — granted, many of them were designed to keep their pets away from their tree, but they can be easily used to keep inquisitive babies and destructive toddlers away too!
Plus, they are funny as!
1. The Old ‘Only Decorate it From Halfway Up’ Trick
2. Suspend some branches from the ceiling and drape decorations from it to keep away from annoyed-loooking children and dogs
3. Dare them to touch it by decorating a cactus instead
4. Lock that shiz right down with a full-height security system
5. Or perhaps sparse and uninteresting is the way to go?
6. Or just strip the lower branches instead?
7. Create an attractive barricade out of all of your other furniture and drape blankets over the top!
8. This is exactly like the puppy playpen that I purchased – works like a charm and you can still see the tree and the presents!
9. You could even decorate the barricade with festive bows!
10. Or just chuck some blankets over the tree and be done with it.
11. Maybe forget the tree entirely and just go with a decorated framed print instead?
12. Another tree stripped to the waist.
13. Another family who opted to forgo the tree and just decorate a light fitting instead.
14. This one is nifty – create a tree shape with a green sheet and then decorate as you would a tree!
15. This one is actually super pretty, but entirely too much work and judging by that cat, not going to last very long.
16. Crowd control provided by a heavy duty gate
17. Why not put the entire thing in a cage?
18. Or wrap the whole tree in Glad wrap!
19. But what happens to the upside-down tree when you turn the fan on?
20. This tree suspended from the ceiling is beautiful!
21. You could make a tree shape out of green tinsel, stick it on the wall and decorate it with fairy lights and call it a day.
22. Another wall tree, this one made using branches
Can you take inspiration from any of these clever people? Which one is your favourite?