“Scarf “prints (patterns with borders) and “Mirror” prints are very popular for the coming spring season, but how do we choose one that is most flattering for our body shape and proportions?
Follow these tips to dress to impress!
- First of all select a dress style that suits your shape. Most of these prints are based on a shift or “bodycon” dress style is usually quite fitted. These are best suited to the “I” “X” or “H” body shapes. However, style C has an empire waistline (under the bust), and will suit an “H” or “O” bodytype. Style B and D are a looser cut, with D giving the option to define the waist with a self belt.
- Definitely go for a dress in your signature colours, something that matches your eye colour or is complimentary to it. If you are unsure as to what your best colours are or if you stick with the same few colours each season then I suggest a personal colour analysis, which is not only valuable in determining your best colours, but it’s loads of fun too!
- If you have a small frame and are petite go for a pattern that is smaller rather then a larger print which suits a bigger framed lady!
- If the print has focal points, remember that attention will be drawn there, so use this to your advantage! Highlight the areas you’re proud of, distracting from the ones you are not fussed on!
- For example:
- These scarf borders on the hemline on styles A-D are great for leg focus.
- The dense patterns of style E and F highlight areas on the hips/legs (E) great for narrow hips and on the shoulders/bust area (F), which is flattering for smaller busts.
- Add width and curve to your straight frame with styles like B, G and H
- Styles A and E use negative space (the white parts) to slim the body down through creating a narrowing effect, which I appreciate!
- Pick a dress that expresses your personality – if you are more outgoing, then a dramatic print in bold contrasting colours is probably going to appeal more, if you are quieter then a more subtle print in only 1-2 colours will be more you!
- If you are a person that usually sticks to plain fabrics but want to adventure out a bit, then try a dress that has a little amount of print like style F with its delicate design.
Will you be stepping out in a border or mirror print this spring? If so I’d love to see what you choose, you can leave a comment below or contact me on my facebook page.
Joanne McEwen is an Image, Style & Colour Consultant at Image Sense based in Geelong, Victoria. She draws her wealth of knowledge from having worked in the fashion industry for over 25 years. Working as a designer and patternmaker gave her insight into the challenges that “off the rack” clothing brings too many of us.
Using her Image, style and Colour training partnered with her experience, gives Joanne the edge in offering expert advice in Image and Style as well as analysing Personal Colours, Wardrobe editing, & personal shopping for her clients. Her clients often consist of mums just like you who need to know “how I do I dress for my figure now?”
Joanne enjoys working closely with her clientele to achieve their desired results while expressing their personality through their image, & flattering their natural shape, with the designs & colours that suit them individually. She takes her natural flair & artistic eye for colour & design combining it with her attention to detail to offer a service that empowers people to look their best, feel their best and to be their best.
Receive my FREE A-Z of fabulous style tips, when you sign-up for my monthly e-zine full of insider style tips and specials. Read my Image Sense Style blog for more articles on dressing for your body shape & personality.