Cheesy Bacon Pasta Bake Recipe
There’s absolutely nothing like a cheesy bacon pasta bake for warm, hearty comfort food. But don’t reach for a jar of pasta sauce, you can make it yourself with milk, butter, cheese and flour for a creamy, cheesy bacony garlic sauce that coats pasta perfectly. It’s easy to throw together and tastes so much better than the pre-packaged stuff.
And the best bit of all – toss fresh breadcrumbs through the bacon and garlic oil for the most amazing breadcrumb topping ever! Serve with a simple green salad and crusty bread and you have a meal everyone will love.
- 500gms of short pasta, like macaroni or penne
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 6 rashers of bacon, diced
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups very coarse fresh breadcrumbs
- 1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water 1 minute less than package instructions. Drain and return to pot.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt half a tablespoon of butter in a frying pan and fry your diced bacon and garlic until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside, leaving the garlicky bacon oil in the pan.
- 3. Heat 3 ½ tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook and whisk for 1 minute. Add milk, nutmeg, and a generous pinch of salt; bring to a simmer. Cook and whisk until the mixture for 2-3mins or until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 4. Whisk in cheeses until smooth. Pour over pasta and toss to coat. Pour in bacon mix and toss to coat. Pour into a large rectangular lasagne dish.
- 5. Reheat the bacon and garlic oil in the frying pan and toss the breadcrumbs through it. Sprinkle over pasta.
- 6. Preheat oven to 230c. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbling for 15 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking until golden, 5-10 mins more. Serve with a simple green salad and crusty bread.