Christmas Apple and Spice Cupcakes
- 2 cups SR flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Nutmeg Ground
- ¾ cup castor sugar
- 1/4 cup (65ml) apple juice
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar
- boiling water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 12 glace cherries
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with patty pan cases. Preheat oven to 200oC.
- Sift together flour, Mixed Spice, Nutmeg and castor sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Mix the apple juice, milk, butter and eggs and pour into the dry mix. Using a metal spoon, stir gently to combine.
- Spoon mix carefully into the patty pan cases, then place in preheated oven. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire cake rack.
- When cold, combine icing sugar with just enough boiling water to make a thick paste, and ice the top of each cake carefully. Sprinkle each with a little cinnamon, then top with a glace cherry. If you can find it, serve with sprigs of holly or fresh apple leaf but remove before eating.
Dianne Ward is a mother of two young children, freelance writer and founder of food blog www.thesassycook.com that champions being fast and fabulous in the kitchen. “Here at The Sassy Cook we create food that is sassy, quick and wades through the fads for those searching to be nourished and take pleasure in their cooking experience.”