Crunchy Baked Popcorn Chicken with Homemade Ranch Dipping Sauce
These crunchy little garlicky morsels of oven baked popcorn chicken are delicious enough, but when you dip them in your very own homemade ranch dipping sauce, they are next level amazing!
You’ll need the following items to make the popcorn chicken:
Chicken breast fillets, garlic, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper, buttermilk, plain flour, oil spray and corn flakes. The ingredients for the ranch dipping sauce are below.
Chop the chicken into little bite sized pieces and stir through some garlic and salt and pepper. Then place them into a ziplock bag with flour and shake to combine. Take the chicken out of the bag and place into a bowl. Drizzle the buttermilk over the top and mix with your hands until the pieces are coated.
Pop the rest of the ingredients into a food processor and blitz until you get a good sized crumb – not too fine but not too chunky either. Add this mix to another ziplock bag, then add the chicken and shake to coat.
Arrange on a baking tray, spray with oil and bake.
To make the ranch dipping sauce, place sour cream, mayonnaise, grated parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and chives in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
Serve immediately with your oven baked popcorn chicken, oven chips and a salad for a family meal everyone will love.
- 2 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt, divided use
- ¼ tsp, divided use
- ½ cup flour
- 2 ½ cups cornflakes
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Cooking oil spray
- Ranch Dressing:
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Combine the diced chicken pieces with the minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and a pinch of black pepper in a medium-size bowl. Place the flour to a large ziplock bag, and set aside.
- Process the cornflakes, parmesan, paprika, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper and garlic powder in a food processor until a fine crumble and place in another large ziplock bag.
- Add your chicken pieces to the bag with the flour, and shake to coat the pieces well.
- Place the flour-coated pieces into a bowl, and drizzle the buttermilk over, turning them gently to coat.
- Place the buttermilk-coated chicken pieces into the cornflake mixture bag and shake to coat the pieces well. Then place each piece of coated chicken onto baking tray in a single layer, and spray with cooking oil spray
- Bake for 20 minutes, then place the popcorn chicken under the grill and allow the popcorn chicken to become extra crunchy by grilling for 2 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, to make the Ranch dipping sauce, add all ingredients to the bowl of your food processor, and process until smooth and blended.
- Serve the popcorn chicken immediately with plenty of ranch dressing, oven chips and salad.