Home Made Family Meat Pie
This home made family meat pie is the perfect way to use up the leftovers from your slow cooker savoury mince meal, stretching your budget even further in the process. With a few sheets of pastry from the freezer, you can easily create a family sized beef pie that your whole family will love. Serve with chips and salad or maybe top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese instead of puff pastry – the possibilites are vast with this versatile family favourite that I’m sure everyone will love.
- 2 sheets of shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- Leftover full family-sized portion of Savoury Mince (find the recipe here)
- ¼ cup of milk
- Oven fries and salad or vegetables to serve
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- 2. Gently place one sheet of shortcrust pastry into the base of a loose based pie dish. Press into the sides and let the corners fold over the edge. Cut the other sheet of shortcrust pastry into four 5cm wide strips and press into the edges of the first sheet of pastry to seal the joins and extend the pastry over the sides of the circular dish. Trim off excess.
- 3. Fill the pie with the cold savoury mince leftovers, smoothing out the top.
- 4. Place the sheet of puff pastry over the top of the pie, stretching it slightly to ensure it covers the filling completely.
- 5. Gently fold the shortcrust pastry over the top of the puff pastry and pinch to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut a venting slit in the centre of the pie. Brush the top with milk and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- 6. Serve with oven fries, salad or vegetables and lots of tomato sauce.