Mexican Chicken Burgers
Crusty bread rolls, chilli and corn salsa, seasoned chicken breast steaks, lime aioli, mashed avocado… these tasty Mexican chicken burgers have it all! They are simple to put together and can be on the table in about twenty minutes.
Here is what you’ll need to make this fresh and easy meal.
Chicken breast fillets, bread rolls, a tin of corn, coriander, red onion, garlic, large red chilli, avocado, salad leaves, mayonnaise, lime juice, olive oil, and some herbs and spices for the seasoning – onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and dried oregano.
Instead of mixing the herbs and spices yourself, you could use about half a packet of taco seasoning to sprinkle on the chicken before cooking if preferred. Use what you have, I say!
Cook the seasoned chicken fillets (halved horizontally, one half per burger) in a frying pan in a little olive oil. We are a family of six, so I made a little extra. This recipe is to serve four.
While the chicken is cooking, make up your condiments and salsa.
Finely chop the chilli, coriander and red onion and stir through corn and lime juice. Mash the avocado in a second bowl. In a third bowl, combine the mayonnaise with some more lime juice, garlic and salt and pepper.
To make your burgers, spread the base of each bread roll with mashed avocado. Top with the seasoned chicken fillet, and carefully spoon the chilli corn salsa over the top. Then add some salad leaves (we used rocket) and drizzle your lime aioli over and serve.
- 310g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice (divided use)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 bread rolls
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, mashed
- 50g salad leaves
- Place corn, chilli, onion and coriander in a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons lime juice and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place dried herbs and spices in a bowl and mix to combine. Sprinkle and rub all over chicken pieces.
- Place mayonnaise, garlic and remaining lime juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add enough oil to a large frying pan to cover the base. Heat over medium heat. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- To assemble burgers, spread the roll bases with avocado, top with chicken, corn salsa, rocket and drizzle with aioli and top with roll tops.