Mini Christmas Trifles Recipe
What could be more festive than a simple and fresh Christmas trifle? Whilst you could just as easily use this recipe to make one large trifle, we love these perfectly portioned mini ones. Trifle always looks less appealing and loses that lovely layered look once you’ve served it up into a bowl, don’t you think?
This recipe is super simple, and involves very limited prep work, so you could easily assemble these after your meal. However, if you are like me and prefer to be organised and not miss out on any of the party fun, you can assemble these ahead of time and refrigerate.
3 punnets strawberries
2 punnets of blueberries
1 punnet raspberries
Cherries to garnish
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of honey
50 ml of water
1 packet of shortbread biscuits
500 ml of custard
250 ml of thickened cream
¼ cup icing sugar (plus icing sugar to lightly dust)
- Wash and hull the strawberries and cut into quarters.
- Place the strawberries and half a punnet of the blueberries into a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, honey and the water.
- Bring to the boil and cook on a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. Do not over-stir as this can cause the fruit to fall apart. Stirring once gently should be sufficient. After 5 minutes take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Crumble the shortbread biscuits into a bowl and set aside until you are ready to assemble your trifle.
- Place the thickened cream into a bowl and whip until very thick. Beat in the icing sugar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Add the cooled fruit mixture into a suitable glass or bowl.
- Top with custard.
- Sprinkle the crumbled shortbread over the custard.
- Add dollops of cream mixture.
- Decorate with the remaining blueberries, raspberries and cherries.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar.
Did you know: You can now order your Coles groceries via eBay and have them delivered to your door. eBay Plus members enjoy double flybuy points for every $1 spent, free delivery on orders over $49 and 5% off every time they shop when they use coupon code PLUSFIVE.