Woman Is Furious at Sister For Buying a Peanut Butter Cake When She Knows Her Son Is Allergic
When this mum’s son requested a peanut butter cake for his birthday she obliged and bought him one. Problem is, her nephew who was attending the party is severely allergic to nuts. Needless to say, the boy’s mum lost her s**t! Do you think she had a right to?
Writing into Reddit, the mum Lulia says that even though her son wanted a peanut butter cake, she still got a nut free cake for the allergic kids (including her nephew) to have.
“My nephew (8) is severely allergic is, so I also got a small generic vanilla cake for him and any other kid who may not want the peanut one,” she said on Reddit.
“The peanut cake was decorated, had candles etc, and it was the cake the kids saw. The vanilla cake was small and garden variety, it was in the kitchen and I cut it up there and took pieces out for the kids who wanted it (about 5 kids out of 20).”
But when Lulia’s sister saw the peanut cake she lost her mind.
“She freaked and yelled at me, saying if her son touches the cake, he could die. I told her that I told the kids it’s a peanut cake and that I have a vanilla one in the kitchen for my nephew. She freaked out and her husband walked her into the house to calm her down.”
Even after returning from outside, the sister was still ropable that her son’s health could’ve been compromised with one bite of the peanut cake.
“When she came back, the kids were already eating cake. She asked me ‘so you are okay with my son dying so that yours can have cake?’ I told her that’s absurd and I’m not getting into it at a kid’s party,” Lulia said.
“After the party, she said I am an inconsiderate asshole for not taking her kid into consideration because if he had just a little bit of cake by accident, he could die.”
Commenters on Reddit agreed that having a cake containing nuts near a child who is allergic is extremely irresponsible and unsafe.
“There’s no precaution that will prevent one kid with peanut cake on their hands from touching another kid. Sure, your kid should have the kind of cake he wants for his birthday, but your nephew COULD literally die if one kid maybe gave him a little hug on the way out the door,” one said.
“It’s a birthday party, kids are running around, they’re messy as hell, and the peanut butter icing could get smeared on anything anywhere. There’s no avoiding cross contamination in this setting,” another agreed.
Lulia however was quick to point out that all precautions were taken and she tried to eliminate all risks.
“Cakes were on different shelves in the fridge and in separate boxes. I cut the vanilla cake in the kitchen, with a different knife and before I took the peanut cake out. So the vanilla cake was cut up and on plates before I touched the peanut cake (took it out of the box, brought it out for the kids, cut it up etc),” she explained.
”When I was cutting the peanut cake, my husband took the vanilla cake out for the kids who wanted it. My nephew was also sitting at the adults’ table while eating his cake because his parents don’t let him eat with other kids when possible allergens are served for the other kids. The adults had cake after the kids had already gone back to play (all after washing their hands).”
What do you think? Would you have been okay if it was your child?