Incredible Custard Cake Recipe – It’s Like Magic!
This easy custard cake recipe is really a little bit magical. What starts off as one cake batter magically turns into three layers of cake and custard when it bakes – you really have to try it to believe it!
- 4 eggs – room temperature
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup of plain flour – sifted
- 2 cups of milk – lukewarm
- ¼ cup of icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper. Don't forget to leave plenty of paper hanging over the sides to help you remove the cake from the tin once it has cooked.
- Separate your eggs and place the egg whites into a CLEAN and DRY bowl and using an electric mixer beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer the egg whites into a separate bowl and aside until needed.
- Place the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to beat until they have combined and are light and frothy.
- With the electric mixer still going on a low speed, gradually add the melted bitter and vanilla extract before adding the sifted flour a few spoonfuls at a time.
- Gradually add the lukewarm milk and continue to beat on a low- medium speed to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add the egg whites to the bowl and gently fold together the mixture.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake tin and place into your preheated oven and cook for 35 minutes or until a golden crust has formed on top of your cake.
Easy Custard Cake Tips
– The cooking time will vary depending on the temperature of your ingredients, it may take up to 50 minutes for your cake to cook.
– Make sure your bowl is clean and dry before you start beating your egg whites, otherwise you will not get the stiff peaks you need.
Have you made this Easy Custard Cake before?
What other ‘magic’ recipes do you like to make?