Roast Beef with Crisp Roast Potatoes, Veggies and Rich Gravy
What’s a Sunday night without a roast for the whole family to enjoy? Cook this roast beef in your oven on a Sunday afternoon and relax as your home fills with the aromas of traditional home cooking. Add some crisp roast potatoes, veggies and your very own rich beef gravy and you have a lovely meal everyone will tuck into.
Making your own gravy is easy, quick to master, and one of the essentials of good home cooking. Once you’ve got that down pat, you can turn every meal into gourmet!
- 1 large family sized cut of beef
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 2 beef Oxos
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place beef on a metal cooking rack or trivet on a deep baking tray and place on centre rack in oven. Cook beef for recommended time on packaging, usually one and a half hours
- 2. Place potatoes and carrots on another baking tray and place in the oven, turning once after 45 minutes.
- 3. When beef is ready, take it out of the oven and place on a plate under foil to rest. Put the oven tray with ½ cup of baking juices onto a hotplate on medium high. Dissolve beef oxos in 500mls of hot water. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of flour into the baking dish and stir to cook the flour and scrape up some of the sticky juices. Slowly add the beef stock a little at a time, all the while deglazing the pan and constantly stirring. Season with salt and pepper and allow to simmer gently,
- 4. Steam or boil the peas and place on the plates with divided roast beef, potatoes and carrots. Pour gravy into a jug and serve.