If there’s one slice that sure to be gobbled up in an instant in our house, it’s Lemon Coconut Slice. This is such a classic, all-time family favourite recipe. It was one of the first recipes my Mum taught me how to make when I was little and I still have very fond memories of crushing the biscuits (with a rolling pin!) and mixing everything together with a wooden spoon.
While the Thermomix has certainly changed the way I make lemon slice (I really don’t miss that rolling pin!), the taste and texture of the slice is just as good as ever – if not even better!
This Lemon Coconut Slice is made a LOT when lemons are in season and our lemon tree is overflowing… but trust me, there’s definitely no complaints from anyone in our house! It’s the perfect lunchbox filler for kids but also my favourite slice to have with a cuppa in the afternoon.
You really can’t beat the delicious combination of the tangy lemon combined with the sweet biscuit base – it’s absolute perfection!
So let’s get into the recipe…
- 80g of butter
- 250g of condensed milk (about 3/4 cup)
- 250g of plain sweet biscuits (like Marie biscuits)
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Grated lemon zest from one lemon
- Lemon Frosting:
- 240g icing sugar
- 60g butter
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs desiccated coconut
- Grease and line a 22cm X 23cm rectangular slice tin with baking paper.
- Cut the lemon rind off a lemon with a sharp knife (try to cut the yellow skin without too much of the white).
- Place the lemon rind into the TM bowl and chop finely on Speed 8 for 50 seconds or until it has a finely grated feel (you will need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times).
- Add the biscuits and crush on Speed 7 for 5-10 seconds or until the biscuits resemble fine crumbs.
- Set the biscuits and lemon rind aside.
- Place the butter into the TM bowl and melt on Speed 3, 60 degrees for 2 minutes (you may need to scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula after 1 minute).
- Add the condensed milk.
- Place the lid and MC onto the top of the TM.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze on top of the lid (the juice will drip into the bowl, while the MC will stop any pips from getting in.
- Mix on Speed 3 for 5 seconds until well combined.
- Add the dry biscuit mixture and the coconut to the TM bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together on Speed 4 for 5 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula and mix again on Speed 4 for an extra 10 seconds.
- Firmly press the mixture into the prepared tin and place into the fridge.
- Place the icing sugar, butter and lemon juice into the TM bowl and mix on Speed 4 for 20 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Mix on Speed 4 for an extra 30 seconds.
- Spread the frosting over the slice, sprinkle with the extra coconut and place back into the fridge to set completely.
- Cut into slices.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Prep time: 15 mins
Makes: 16 slices
Oh I love how the way the Thermomix makes everything so quick and easy – it really is the best thing ever! Is lemon coconut slice a family favourite in your house too?