Lactose Free Cauliflower Cheese
Preparation: 10 Minutes,
Bake: 25 Minutes.
Serves: 4 (as a side)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 500ml Lactose Free Milk
- Pinch Salt & pepper
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Paprika (any or all)
- ½ cup grated lactose free cheese
- 1.In a medium saucepan heat oil on medium heat. Add flour and gently whisk.
- 2.In a microwave safe jug, heat milk with salt, pepper and spices on high for 2 minutes.
- 3.Bubbles should have formed on the edges of the oil and flour mixture.
- 4.Add 2Tbsp warm milk mix, straining to retain the spices. Gently whisk to combine.
- 5.After 1-2 minutes bubbles should form again. Repeat step 4 with 4 Tbsp milk mix. Repeat until all milk is combined.
- 6.Leave to cook for 2-3 minutes using a gentle stir every minute or so. Add cheese use whisk to combine.
TIP : Bake sliced cauliflower while cooking the cheese sauce. Once cheese sauce is cooked, pour over cauliflower and sprinkle with a handful of chopped almonds. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned. This versatile sauce is also great for lasagne, moussaka and macaroni cheese.
Amy McEntee is a mum of two and the author of Sydney based food blog, Eat Raise Love. A lover of all things food (& wine!), Amy is often found cooking for playdates and gifting meals to others. Amy cooks from the heart and shares her easy, healthy recipes and meal ideas for busy families.