With the arrival of cooler weather on our door step, it’s the perfect time to be prepared for the cold and flu season. They say prevention is better than a cure when it comes to dealing with colds and flu and the best way to avoid getting sick is to eat a healthy diet of fruit and vegetables and using good hygiene like washing hands. We’ve put together 6 natural remedies to fight the cold and flu so you can feel well prepared before winter hits.*
1. Honey and cinnamon are known to fight colds head on reducing the symptoms by 2 days. Honey is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-microbial agent. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding and have a sore throat, swallow 1 teaspoons of honey to calm. Cinnamon is also a good fighter against colds. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties. By mixing 1 teaspoon of raw honey with ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon, you are going to be making yourself one kick-ass remedy to fight your cold.
2. Elderberry Syrup is a great remedy to fight against the flu. Elderberries are known to build up your immune system to fight against the flu. They are high in vitamins a, b and c. You can make your own Elderberry Syrup using this recipe, or you can buy a bottle from your local chemist or health shop.
3. If you really want to give your insides a blast to build up your immunity and fight against the symptoms of cold and flu, this little Flu Buster juice may be what you are after. It’s made with lemon, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper. The recipe can be found here. This is a great juice to make using natural ingredients you have on hand at home.
4. Essential oils are used as a way to fight sickness that becomes airborne. Mixing a few essential oils together to create a Flu Bomb blend will help stop colds and flu being shared around the home and office. Oregano, lemon, cinnamon, black pepper, peppermint, thyme, fennel, basil, clove, rosemary, lavender and frankincense are some of the main essential oils to assist with cold and flu symptoms. Add a few drops of oil to a bath, or in a bowl of hot water so the steam can diffuse the smell.
5. Fire Cider is a homemade remedy that can be drunk as a daily shot or sipped on when the cold and flu hits. The full recipe can be found here but it has a mixture of cold and flu fighting foods that will fire up that immunity.
6. Humidifiers are a great way to control the inside airborne environment during winter. Indoor air is often 5 more times polluted than outdoor air. To prevent bacteria being spread through the air, use a humidifier. The Dyson Humidifier uses UV light to kill bacteria in its water reservoir to ensure it doesn’t blow the nasties through the air.
What remedies can you share to ease the symptoms of the cold and flu?
*As with any natural or pharmaceutical remedies, it’s important to check with your health professional of any adverse effects when using these remedies. We are not health professionals but simply sharing some natural and effective remedies that you can make at home that can fight symptoms of the common cold and flu.