Experts Warn Kids Not To Charge Devices In Bed As They Can Quickly Become Fire Hazards
It’s something we’re all guilty of doing but experts warn exactly how dangerous charging your phone and iPad on your bed really is.
A Facebook page called CPR KIDS has released confronting photos of just how quickly a phone charger can heat up and burn your bedsheets. The images show a frayed charger next to burnt sheets.
CPR Kids is a page run by paediatric registered nurses who often share information and expert advice on how to keep your kids safe. They urge parents to be particularly vigilant when it comes to their kids and using electronic devices in bed.
“Did your children receive a tablet or phone for Christmas?” the post asks. “Make sure that they never charge electronics in bed – teach them to follow manufacturers’ guidelines.
Charge on a flat surface with no flammable materials around, make sure there are no foreign objects in the connector or plug, and avoid cheap accessories such as cords. Also, it is important to check that cords are always in good condition and dispose of any that show signs of wear and tear.
Damaged cords and charging in unsafe conditions can pose an electrocution and fire risk!
And always keep cords out of reach of little ones.”
The post has been shared more than 400 times with many parents commenting on their own experiences with their kids.
“We once charged our phone on a book on our desk. The phone heated up so much the book caught fire,” posted one mum.
“Smoke hadn’t gotten to the smoke detector yet. Foul smell alerted us first. Lucky we weren’t asleep.”
According to the Country Fire Authority Victoria, devices such as your phone and iPad should never be left charging overnight. Electrical devices left on bedding are a major cause of house fires. Be vigilant and stay safe!
Images: Pixabay and Facebook