30 Ways to Know You’re Australian…
1. You think its un-Australian to eat a meat pie without sauce!
2. It’s not Summer until you can’t touch the steering wheel of your car without getting third degree burns.
3. Despite what tourists might think, you’ve never thrown a shrimp on the barbie, and you don’t even know anyone who has.
4.You own more pairs of thongs than you do socks…and yes! They are called THONGS, and not FLIP FLOPS or JANDLES!
5. In fact, you love your thongs so much you have a giant inflatable thong that you float around on in your pool.
6. Spreading dark brown vegetable extract onto your toast is the best way start to the day. Anyone from any other country thinks Vegemite looks, smells and tastes like engine oil!
7. You pronounce Melbourne as ‘Mel-bn.’
8. You believe the phrase smart casual refers to a pair of black tracks-daks, suitably laundered.
9. You will always think of Kylie Minogue as “that girl from Neighbours.”
10. You wear ugg boots outside.
11. You place the word ‘bloody’ in front of words to indicate that you REALLY mean it!
12. You think it makes perfect sense to have a $1 coin twice the size of a $2 coin.
13. You believe all famous Kiwi’s are actually Australian, until they stuff up. Then they go back to being Kiwi’s.
14. At least one person in your group of friends owns one of these hats, and if it’s not you, you wish it was!
15.You think it makes perfect sense to decorate highways with giant fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.
16. The more you like someone the more you shorten their name…if you really like them you stick an ‘o’ on the end for good measure!
17. The word ‘you’ has a plural – ‘youse.’
18. You know the best way to eat a Tim Tam is to dunk it into your tea/coffee/hot chocolate or milo…but let’s face it, Tim Tam’s go with anything!
19. You’ve sandwiched vegemite between two Vitawheat crackers so you can watch little vegemite worms squeeze out of the holes.
20. It’s perfectly acceptable to address someone else as ‘mate’ even if you can’t stand them and are having a ripper argument with them.
21. You wouldn’t dream of going to the beach, the park, the zoo or to the washing line without packing a cooler bag to take with you.
22. You know that koalas are NOT bears!
23. You determine the best parking spot by shade not distance.
24. Hot water comes out of both taps.
25. You know in summer a seatbelt buckle becomes a pretty good branding iron.
26. You are secretly proud of our badass wildlife.
27. Your teacher used to end the day with ‘heads down, thumb up.’
28. You attach cable ties to your bike helmet during Spring so the magpies can’t swoop and attempt to maim you just for riding innocently down the street or employ other ridiculous tactics in an effort to stay alive.
29. You’ve ‘chucked a u-ey.’
30. You share this with your other Aussie mates, because you know it’s true!