A tragic story from the United States has emerged this morning after a 18 month old toddler died in their bed after undergoing a homemade head lice remedy.
After discovering their little girl had head lice, her parents used a ‘traditional remedy’ of applying mayonnaise to her scalp and covering the top of her head with a plastic bag before placing her into bed. It is suspected the plastic bag then moved whilst the little girl slept, covering her face and suffocating her in her sleep.
Emergency personnel were called to the toddlers home approximately 145km outside of Boston in Massachusetts at around 3pm on Saturday afternoon, where they discovered an adult on the scene administering CPR to the young girl. However after examination it was determined the little girl had passed away some time before.
Authorities are investigating this tragic incident, and no charges have been filed as yet.
Our thoughts are with this little girl and her family.
For more information on head lice and treatment options, please visit here.