Chicken & Bacon Lasagne with Cheesy White Wine Sauce
This creamy chicken and bacon lasagne is so good that my family are already begging me to make it again for them. The cheesy white wine sauce is an amazing addition to this classic family favourite, and wilted baby spinach just makes it all the yummier.
It doesn’t take as much effort to make as you might think – just twenty minutes to half an hour in the kitchen before whacking it in the oven for another thirty minutes or so while you relax with the rest of the white wine. (Not officially part of the recipe but I certainly recommend it.)
You’ll need two chicken breast fillets, some bacon, dried herbs, plain flour, milk, shallots, white wine, a chicken stock cube, baby spinach, fresh lasagne sheets and lots of grated cheese. LOTS.
Now, regarding the cheese — I used freshly grated tasty cheese in the sauce and packet pre-grated mozzarella and parmesan in between the layers and on the topping. Just because I felt like it. You do whatever you feel like with whatever you have.
Cook the chicken and bacon together in a big frying pan and add the herbs and flour. Slowly add the milk to make a sauce, then add the shallots, wine, crumbled stock cube, some of the cheese and baby spinach. I mean, there are some steps there — adding and stirring, then adding something else, but it really is as easy as that. Not hard at all.
Now it’s just a matter of creating your layers like any lasagne. First some of the sauce, then a sprinkling of grated cheese, then lasagne sheets. Keep layering until you finish with a layer of sauce. Then sprinkle with some more grated cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes while you drink some (more) wine and clean up.Once it’s golden and bubbling, remove it from the oven and allow to rest for at least five minutes. This will help it from oozing everywhere when you try to remove cut portions from the dish.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets, diced
- 5 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 140gms baby spinach
- 3 cups grated tasty cheese (divided use)
- 1 packet of fresh lasagne sheets
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat and cook the chicken and bacon until just cooked through. Add the Italian herbs and plain flour and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the milk a little at a time to form a thick sauce. Add the shallots, white wine, and crumbled stock cube and mix well. Remove from heat and stir through one cup of grated cheese, then add the baby spinach and stir until wilted and well-combined.
- Assemble your lasagne by spooning two cups of chicken mixture into a 12 cup capacity lasagne dish, followed by some of the reserved grated cheese and a layer of lasagne sheets. Continue the layers until you finish with a layer of chicken and bacon mix. Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into portions and serving.