Smoky Pulled Pork Sliders Recipe
The first time I had a Slider was in Hawaii and I instantly fell in love with them! Who wouldn’t love a selection of mini hamburgers in different flavours? It solves all the burger dilemmas: chicken burger vs. beef burger, spicy vs plain, cheese vs bacon, and on and on and on. And it feels less guilty because they’re so little! It’s perfect party food, perfect for kids and the combinations are endless.
I particularly love these smoky pulled pork sliders because there isn’t actually a long, slow cooking process of pork because they’re made of pork mince with a bit of crispy bacon, smoky paprika and shallot thrown in. The home-made BBQ sauce is delicious (in fact, you should probably double it and save some for a rainy day) but of course if you are in a hurry you could buy some…but I wouldn’t…you cannot buy BBQ sauce that tastes this delicious and seriously it only takes a couple of minutes. You can even make it while the patties are frying even though I like to make it in advance because I have a limited attention span and like to concentrate on one thing at a time. Those 15 minute and 30 minute Jamie Oliver meals would take me 3 hours because he is so organised and is constantly multi-tasking. Me? I have to go back and re-read a recipe at every single step. Anyway, again – this is a healthy meal with minimal fat. I buy the lean minced pork but if you want a juicier burger go for regular mince!
Adapted from Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Home Cooking
- 4 rashers of rindless bacon, finely chopped
- olive oil for frying
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g minced pork
- BBQ Sauce
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- To Serve
- Mini burger buns/rolls
- lettuce, shredded
- slices of cheese
- slices of tomato
- First make the BBQ Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and sugar and fry for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika and stir to combine. Cook until the onion starts to caramelise, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and let it cook out. Add the Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce, mix well and continue to cook until the sauce is nice and thick - just a few minutes should do.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the BBQ sauce is cooking, start preparing the patties.
- Fry the bacon with a drizzle of oil until almost cooked through.
- Add the shallot and continue to cook for 5 minutes until the shallot is tender and the bacon crisp. Sprinkle in the smoked paprika and mix well.
- Remove from heat and drain on kitchen paper.
- Season the minced pork and mix well with the shallot and bacon. Shape into balls the size of golf balls and flatten slightly.
- Heat a large fry pan with a little oil. Season the patties and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until cooked through and coloured.
- Turn off heat and leave them to rest. Top each patty with a slice of cheese, allowing it to melt slightly.
- Assemble your siders in the mini rolls layered with the BBQ sauce, lettuce, tomato, pattie and more BBQ sauce. Serve