Warm Chorizo and Smashed Potato Salad
This is one of my family’s favourite summer salads – warm spicy chorizo sausages combined with crispy smashed potatoes, creamy avocado, cherry tomatoes and soft boiled eggs sitting on a bed of baby rocket and baby spinach. YUM!!
You can have it on the table in about 45 minutes or so, and most of that time is spent waiting for your potatoes to get nice and crispy!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this fabulous salad:
Half a kilo of baby potatoes, some eggs, a packet of chorizo sausages, an avocado, a punnet of cherry tomatoes, a packet of baby rocket, a packet of baby spinach, half a red onion and some crusty bread to serve if you like. I also used some olive oil, salt and pepper and some chopped fresh parsley. I don’t often use salad dressings but you can drizzle your favourite over the top too.
Steam or microwave the whole baby potatoes for 5 minutes or until just tender, then pop them on a baking tray and gently crush with a fork to squash. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then place them in a hot oven for thirty minutes until crispy.
Meanwhile, cook the sausages in a hot frying pan until mostly cooked through. Remove to a plate and slice diagonally into bite sized pieces. Return to the pan and continue cooking until golden.
Simmer some eggs for either 5 minutes for soft boiled or 7 minutes for hard boiled, then shell and cut into quarters.
Arrange your salad ingredients on a platter and top with the smashed potatoes, chorizo and eggs. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve with crusty bread.
- 1 packet Coles Finest Chorizo sausages
- 500g chat potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 200g baby rocket
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Crusty bread to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C. Steam or microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes until just tender. Place onto a baking paper lined oven tray and lightly squash each potato with a fork. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30 mins until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, pan fry the chorizo sausages until almost cooked through. Remove from pan and slice diagonally into bite sized pieces. Return to pan and continue to cook until golden and crisp.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes for soft boiled, 7 minutes for hard boiled. Remove from heat, peel and quarter.
- Place the salad ingredients on a large serving platter and top with potatoes, chorizo and eggs. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley if desired and sprinkle with your favourite salad dressing. Serve with crusty bread.